Archive: 2014/05

Utterson Renamed To Newcomen

While Utterson was a much nicer name, there already is a static blog generator with this name. So I decided to rename it to Newcomen, another character in Robert Louis Stevenson’s novella “The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde”. There are probably better names, but Newcomen had the same number of letters, saving me some potential reformatting work after the search and replace. Basically all I had to do was a

find . -type f -exec \
    sed -i 's/Utterson/Newcomen/g' {} \;

and rename a few files and folders. Due to the new name, I changed the version number of all modules to 2014052501, but apart from the name nothing has changed.

I also changed all previous blog posts, category and tag names. That wasn’t really necessary, but it’s easier to keep all related stuff in one place. So the URLs have changed, too, but you should be redirected to the new one if you try to access an old Utterson URL.


Vimya 0.5 Released

I just uploaded Vimya version 0.5 to vim.org, it is also available in the Git repository.

Most of the code has been rewritten, there are a few new functions, new options and I added some Ex commands. The changes include:

  • Rewrite of most of the plugin’s code and most of the documentation.
  • Some new options:
    • g:vimyaSocket
    • g:vimyaTimeout
    • g:vimyaForceRefresh
    • g:vimyaRefreshWait
    • g:vimyaSplitBelow
  • Added support for Unix domain sockets.
  • Renamed sendBufferToMaya() to vimyaRun() (the former is still available for backwards compatibility).
  • Some new public (Python) functions:
    • vimyaSend()
    • vimyaOpenLog()
    • vimyaRefreshLog()
    • vimyaResetLog()
  • Added docstrings to all Python functions.
  • Added some Ex commands:
    • :VimyaRun
    • :VimyaBuffer
    • :VimyaSend
    • :VimyaCommand
  • Fixed some issues that could probably cause the log features not to work properly for certain file names.
  • Changed version number to 0.5.
  • Thanks to Talha Ahmed for suggestions and testing.

Vimya’s behaviour should be exactly the same as for the previous version (except for the fixed file name issue), so you should not notice any difference if you just update and don’t change any of the new options. If you do notice any difference, or any bugs, issues with the documentation etc., please notify me at vimya@subtype.de, or use the bug tracker.